Home News Army fails to identify soldiers involved in Oyo park killing

Army fails to identify soldiers involved in Oyo park killing

732
SHARE
The Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai

The Nigerian Army is yet to identify and produce soldiers involved in the killing of a 30 -year-old fun-seeker, Kehinde Adeleke, at Pete’s Bar and Lounge, located on the premises of Trans Amusement Park, in Agbowo, Ibadan, Oyo State.

Kehinde was allegedly shot dead with the gun of a soldier attached to the Oyo State joint security outfit, Operation Burst.

The officer in charge of operations at Operation Burst headquarters in Ibadan, Alkali Alkaleri, a captain, told Punch on the telephone, on Thursday, that the formation had no news on the soldiers involved in the killing.

Kehinde, his twin brother, Taiye, and their younger brother, Damola, had gone to the bar, on Monday, to have fun when an argument ensued between Damola and some visitors over the parking of a car they took to the facility.

Kehinde was said to have rushed to the scene after he learnt that Damola was slapped by one of the visitors. As the altercation continued, the bar owner, Seyi Olusa , aka Shadaluski, reportedly stormed in with the soldiers, one of who was said to have hit a stick on Damola’s head.

Kehinde was protesting against the assault when Olusa took the gun of one of the operatives and shot Kehinde in the neck. The deceased’s twin brother, Taiye, who posted about the incident on his Facebook page, said the soldiers prevented them from leaving the park gate for over 30 minutes, adding that the soldiers trailed them to the University College Hospital, Ibadan, where Kehinde was rushed to.

“On Monday, February 26, at exactly 6. 45 p.m., Kehinde, some of our friends and me got to Trans to chill after the day’s work. That is how we have been going there, since 2016 without causing any trouble in the vicinity. Before now, we have always been seeing men of the Operation Burst with Seyi (Shadaluski) the owner of the bar. They drink, chat and smoke together on a daily basis.

“He always use them as a tool of oppression over anyone who questions him. At exactly 7.20 p.m., Kehinde Adeleke, a young, intelligent and friendly young man, who just clocked 30 years, last month, was shot with the gun of one of the men of the Operation Burst constituted by the Abiola Ajimobi-led government in Oyo State at the Trans Amusement Park around Agbowo. Kehinde, who was killed by Shadaluski and men of the Operation Burst, sent his immediate younger brother, Damola, on an errand to get him food. On Damola’ s return, some guys were arguing with him (Damola) over a parking space and all of a sudden, the guy slapped Damola.

“Someone went to call Kehinde that Damola was being beaten up by some guys. On getting there, Kehinde was trying to inquire what transpired between the duo. However, during the conversation, Seyi (Shadaluski) appeared with some men of the Operation Burst, who even without any question from those involved in the argument , asked Shadaluski what was wrong.

“Shadaluski pointed to Damola Adeleke as the troublemaker . Immediately he said that, one of the men of the Operation Burst smashed a big stick on Damola’ s head and he fainted immediately.

“…the argument went on for almost five minutes before Shadaluski became angry and collected a rifle hanged on the shoulder of (one of ) his friends, then shot Kehinde in the neck. I held and dragged Seyi into my car that he had killed my immediate twin brother and that he would not escape…. ”

When contacted the Officer-in-Charge of Operations, Alkaleri, on the killing and culpability of the soldiers, he said there was no news yet.
“No news yet on the identity of the persons involved. Our investigation is still on. I will call you when I have information for you,” he said.

The Public Relations Officer of the Oyo State Police Command, Adekunle Ajisebutu, said the command had commenced investigation into the killing .

Ajisebutu said the police would not spare anyone involved in the killing, adding that investigation had commenced .

“The owner of the bar has been arrested and he is helping with investigation. We have not made further arrest, but full investigation has commenced with a view to getting to the root of what happened at the bar,” he said .